Here are a few tips I have learned around packing for travel:
- Use the hotel/cruise laundry service, it can reduce what you need to bring by 50%!
- Stick to a similar color scheme for you and those you are traveling with. Not only can you create multiple outfits out of a few pieces, you will coordinate well in photos.
- Check the weather in advance. It’s easy to purchase rain gear or a jacket if it changes.
- Wear your comfortable walking shoes on the plane as they often take up a lot of space in your luggage.
- Cashmere scarf. It is versatile as a scarf, blanket or pillow.
- Make copies of your passport and other important travel documents and store in a separate carry-on bag from your original.
- Bring the correct power adapter for the country you are visiting
- Bring a small power strip to plug in multiple electronics with one adapter
- Make sure your chargers are on your packing list
- Bring a small power cord as many hotels in Europe do not have outlets in the bathroom
- Extra battery if you bring a camera
- Small portable charger. Our phones are so critical during travel and nothing worse than no power.
- Alternate international credit card
- Small amount of US cash. When arriving use an ATM in the airport to get local currency.
- Use Apps for anything historically you would have brought on paper (Itinerary, download offline maps, City Guides, Packing lists…)
- Maximize your allowable weight with a small electronic scale. I often leave a little weight available to bring home wine and other local goods.
- Pack a lightweight foldable backpack. I have one from Columbia that folds into a tiny wallet size but is available when I need some extra space.
- My family has a ‘you bring it, you carry it policy’.
Let the Pros handle it
- Luggage-Free will pick up your luggage at your home and ship to your destination!!! (I can share more details with you if you are interested in learning more)
What are your favorite packing tips?